System-100 tech specs
|109||Pair of speakers|
The two speakers, sequencer, and mixer flank the wider pair of synthesisers, making a neat set.
The good thing about the System-100 is that there are no illegal patchings, you can't actually fuck anything. We've found some really strange things by attaching outputs to outputs, for instance — you'd think that nothing would happen, but often it does.
— Martyn Ware, Heaven 17, 1982
I've always fancied an analogue sequencer, and the Roland is great because you do all your tuning by first twiddling the knobs, so you make the tuning up as you go along. You can also take the CV out of one of the Model 100s, and instead of controlling pitch, you can have it running from MIDI so that while it's playing it's opening and closing the filters, which is interesting. The system has a typical Roland sound like the SH-09 and Jupiter-6 — very pure sounding.
— Paul Hartnoll, Orbital, 1994
I asked [Martyn Ware] what the first [synth] he had was. It turns out he used to have a Roland System-100 — you know, the one in the suitcase with speakers, not the modular version that I have. So I phoned around and managed to get hold of one for him, gave it to him, and said: "There you go, welcome back."
— Vince Clarke, Erasure, 1994
I've still got my System-100. It doesn't get used much, but when I do use it, the difference in sound quality between that and any digital synth is huge.
— Martyn Ware, The Human League, 2020
- The A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers, Part Two: N-Z Peter Forrest, 2003, ISBN 0-952437-73-2
- "Penthouse and Statement" Tony Bacon, One Two Testing, Nov 1982
- "Music of Spheres" Nigel Humberstone, Sound On Sound, Apr 1994
- "Home is where the art is" Ian Masterson, The Mix, Jul 1994
- "Heaven 17's Martyn Ware: 'Kraftwerk were only brilliant because they were rich!'" Music Radar, 2020
- "Roland catalogue" Roland, 1976
- "Roland catalogue volume 1" Roland, 1977
- "Roland catalogue volume 2" Roland, 1977
- "Roland catalogue volume 3" Roland, 1978
- "Roland catalogue volume 4" Roland, 1979
- "Roland catalogue volume 5" Roland, 1979
- "System-100 Model 101 manual" Roland, Nov 1976
- "System-100 Model 102 manual" Roland, Jul 1977
- "System-100 Model 103 manual" Roland, May 1976
- "System-100 Model 104 manual" Roland, Jul 1977
- "System-100 Model 101 service notes" Roland, Jul 1976
- "System-100 Model 102 service notes" Roland, Oct 1976
- "System-100 Model 103 service notes" Roland, Dec 1976
- "System-100 Model 104 service notes" Roland, Apr 1977